- Media Acquisitions
- Reserving and borrowing media equipment and software
- Additional Media Services resources
Available is a list of annotated subject guides of documentary, instructional and feature films on DVD and videotape, which are part of the library's collections. Any title on this list may be reserved by faculty for classroom showings. For best results, programs should be previewed in advance.
In addition, instructors may wish to use their syllabus or assign research projects to designate titles for required viewing. Students may then schedule individual screenings in the Library's Media Lab carrels or small group preview rooms for assignments, research, review or makeups.
This list represents a continuous process of media acquisitions by the Library. Suggestions and purchase recommendations may be directed to the Director of Media Services in E-101, x5432. Videotape Purchase Recommendation
Further, thousands of additional titles may be borrowed from other CUNY campuses through LaGuardia's membership in Metropolitan New York Library Council. Please consult CUNY+ for computerized listings of these titles. CUNY Intercampus Loan of Media Materials
All bookings of software and equipment for classroom showings require advance notice. To schedule, please come to the Media Desk, E-101, or use the online Equipment and Software Reservations form.
RESERVING AND BORROWING MEDIA EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE
Media resources include VHS, DVD,CD-ROMs, and sound recordings, such as compact discs and LPs. To book equipment and software, the following procedures apply:
- Media Services' Equipment and Software Reservations form, available in E-101 and online, is used to book items from the collection, films from the Multimedia Roundtable, as well as equipment needed for classroom showings. Requests will not be accepted over the phone. However, the borrower may obtain a supply of media forms to send interoffice to E-101 as needed. Any loss or damage to the borrowed items will be the financial responsibility of the borrower at full replacement cost.
- Advance notice required to process requests is as follows:
- in collection -- 48 hours or more
- other CUNY campuses -- one month preferred
- Loans are on a first come, first served basis, subject to availability of both the equipment and media programs. Bookings will be confirmed by interoffice mail.
- Faculty and staff must present their CUNY IDs when booking materials and equipment for overnight use. Some items are restricted to on campus use only.
- The equipment and software materials borrowed from Media Services will be delivered to and picked up from classrooms during library hours by Media Services staff. After 10pm on weeknights or 5pm on Saturdays, the borrower must take responsibility for securing equipment and materials.
EQUIPMENT AND SOFTWARE SHOULD NEVER BE LEFT UNATTENDED. IF PICKUP IS DELAYED, CALL THE MEDIA DESK, X5431.
ADDITIONAL MEDIA SERVICES RESOURCES
VIDEO PRODUCTION -- A Videotaping and Editing Services form is available in E-101 and online. The following services are provided:
- Evaluative taping of speeches, interviews, panel discussions, counseling and instructional techniques
- Student training with video equipment and offline digital editing
- Production of video plays or instructional tapes
MEDIAGRAPHIC AND PROGRAMMING SERVICES
- Mediagraphy prepared related to course or individual topic
- Search and selection of new titles related to curriculum
- Video program or workshop tailored to needs of special project
MEDIA LABORATORY, E-101 - For student assignments, media playback and independent learning:
The 41 individual carrels and two preview/recording rooms provide a multitude of mediated services, such as DVD and VHS playback, digital audio recording, and video editing, along with a number of systems for students with special needs, such as Visual Tek readers and screen reading software. Full-use internet terminals are also available.
MISCELLANEOUS SERVICES FOR FACULTY
- Training and instruction in equipment operation
- Duplication of non-copyright tapes/discs for classroom use
- Production of overhead transparencies
- Classroom, conference or special events videotaping
- Distributor catalogs, film study guides, and audiovisual reference materials
CIRCULATING LAPTOP SERVICE TO STUDENTS
The library offers wireless circulating laptop computers for all LaGuardia students. Funded initially by a capital budget grant from the Office of the Queens Borough President, these three-day loan laptops are available for on-campus and home use by students.
Students must register at the Media Desk and sign off on the security policy. Although standard proficiency with laptop operation will be assumed, Media provides basic technical support and troubleshooting, if required.
The Library circulates Texas Instrument TI-83 Graphic Calculators. The calculators are available on a first come, first served basis at the Media Services Desk in the Library. The calculators may be borrowed for seven days with one renewal (renewals must be done in person).
The Library circulates Apple iPads. They are available on a first come, first served basis at the Media Services Desk in the Library. They may be borrowed for three days.
PORTABLE WIRELESS CLASSROOM
This initiative promotes teaching with technology by creatively responding to the chronic shortage of computer laboratory space.
Two class sets of laptop computers plus instructor presentation systems (multimedia projector and wireless printer) are delivered by Media Services staff to a wireless-accessible classroom in any of building on the College campus. Faculty should reserve this service at least two weeks in advance by filling out the appropriate form at the Media Desk, or going online. LaGuardia currently has a number of classrooms with wireless access ports, so it's best to confirm location in advance with the Register.
The most compelling aspect of this program is its flexibility -- this mobile lab can be configured in a multitude of ways to promote online learning and student group projects. Given the number of faculty completing the Center for Teaching and Learning's Designed for Learning seminar, the preponderance of Blackboard-driven courses, the ePortfolio project and student website construction, we eagerly anticipate the development of innovative pedagogies in web-based instruction.
Wireless Network Login Instructions
- Log in at: https://10.3.4.4/login.pl
- Username: [usually firstname.lastname]
- Students: Your password is your eight-digit CUNYfirst ID and the last two digits of the year you were born.
- Faculty and Staff: Your GroupWise password
- Accept terms of service
- Log In
If students don't know their username and password, they can look it up here or visit the Instructional Services and Media Distribution Department in B127 (X6161 or email@example.com ).