The Institutional Archives resides in the Library Media Resources Center of the college. As with other special collections the mission or charge is to collect, arrange, describe and preserve specific materials that areas relate to the history and development of LaGuardia Community College and selected materials of the City University of New York that relate to the college.
The collection policy includes primary source materials such as publications of the college, recruitment advertising, artifacts, college catalogs, correspondence, committee and department meeting minutes, newsletters/newspapers, photographs, reports, audio and video cassettes, slides, and yearbooks and course proposals. Some of the materials of the City University of New York date back to 1926. The LaGuardia Community College collection dates back to 1970, the founding date.
LaGuardia was one of the first community colleges in the United States to offer cooperative education (a form work-study for academic credit) as part of the academic curriculum.
LaGuardia Community College was among the first colleges to host high schools on campus. The Middle College High School program is just one area of concentration in innovation developed at LaGuardia. Others include the development of the Center for Teaching and Learning, First Year Initiatives, the implementation of the student e-portfolio, and our high number of enrollment of students who study successfully in English as Second Language as well as our attraction to a large International student body. The Institutional Archives serves as part of the repository of information about these areas of interest for researchers.
General Information for Selected Finding Aids
Listed below are some examples of finding aids and container lists of personnel and programs.
Access to materials is open to all and freely available for reference and study upon request. In order to serve researchers we request one to two days to allow us to retrieve documents. Many will be available immediately, however some materials are in storage and others may be in process of being digitized so advance notice will allow us to better serve readers.
In all cases we request complete care and security of items within collection series. Copies can be provided within reasonable time and limits. No self-service copy will be permitted. All rights and reproduction and use must be cleared in writing with Archivist by way of mutually signed agreements. All items remain the property of LaGuardia Community College, CUNY.
- Art Selection Committee
- Raymond Cobb Bowen
- College Now
- Cooperative Education
- World's Fairs 1939, 1965
Among the materials and Collections are:
- Administrative and Faculty materials
- Adult and Continuing Education including a collection from the closed Astoria Center
- College Senate Collection including the Curriculum Committee including many early course proposals and materials relevant to College Governance
- Cooperative Education from its period as a Division and now as an Academic Department
- Division of Institutional Advancement and Institutional Research
- Division of Student Services
- Faculty Council
- LaGuardia Community College Photograph Collection
- Media such as:
- LaGuardia 25th Anniversary Oral History Tapes
- Middle College High School Videotape Collection
- Oral history tapes of retiree interviews
- Middle States self studies and reports
- Pre-Commission Sculptures at LaGuardia Community College Collection
- Public Program Announcements and Information
- Publications and newsletter including those by Administration, Faculty and Students
Perspective, Insider, LiveWire, The Bridge, Fiorello's Flute and more
- Queens Urban Partnership
- Student Life and Services, including year books
- Task Force Reports and collections
- Task Force on Pluralism
The collection is available to faculty, staff, students and independent scholars. We welcome all questions and seek to serve your information needs we strongly suggest calling or e-mail to make an appointment and so we can best ascertain your needs and insure we are able to accommodate you request.
Hours and Contact
Our hours are from 9: 15-4:30 Monday-Friday. We are closed Fridays from mid June-August and on all CUNY-celebrated major holidays and whenever the College or Library is closed.
Special arrangements are possible for access at other times.
Our mailing address is:
Institutional Archives of LaGuardia Community College
Library Media Resources Center
E Building —Room 101
31-10 Thomson Avenue
Long Island City, N.Y. 11101.