Research Guide: Influenza A (H1N1) - Swine Flu
- American Journal of Public Health
Access more than 160 studies on influenza from APHA's American Journal of Public Health for free, including new studies published in the past year.
- American Society for Microbiology - Selection of research articles.
The American Society for Microbiology has made articles on H1N1 published between November 2008 and May 2009 in its Journal of Virology, Journal of Clinical Microbiology, and Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy freely available online. The 14 articles can be accessed in one location: ASM articles on H1N1 (November 2008 through May 2009).
- Doherty, Peter C. and Stephen J. Turner. "Q&A: What do we know about influenza and what can we do about it?" Journal of Biology 8.5 (2009): 46.1-4.
Biological information from the open access Journal of Biology with good list of references for further investigation.
- DynaMed - H1N1 Summary
A point-of-care reference resource for medical professionals. The DynaMed topic on H1N1 flu consolidates information from multiple sources for health care providers to stay current with recommendations for monitoring, diagnosing, and treating patients with flu-like illnesses. A clinical management highlights summary is included.
- Ebsco Influenza Evidence-based Information Portal
A portal created by Ebsco medical and nursing editors for such resources as DynaMed, Nursing Reference Center and Patient Education Reference Center. This site includes journal articles and related resources organized for clinical, nursing and patient audiences.
- Lipsitch, Marc, et al. "Managing and Reducing Uncertainty in an Emerging Influenza Pandemic." New England Journal of Medicine 27 May 2009.
- Medline Plus: H1N1 Flu (Swine Flu)
Consumer health information with PubMed links to articles.
- New England Journal of Medicine - H1N1 Influenza Center
Offers original research articles, research summaries and commentary, background, advice to practitioners, news, policy coverage and updates.
- NPR Special Report
Articles for a general audience.
- New York Times: Swine Flu News
Includes news articles, selected web resources, blogs and videos.
- PNAS: Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences
PNAS has made recent H1N1 research articles available free online at http://www.pnas.org to assist with research.
For more articles, try searching these subscription databases for full-text news and research articles:
- Academic Search Complete
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text - The Cumulative Index for Nursing and Allied Health journals.
- LexisNexis Academic (Healthcare News)
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source
Books at LaGuardia Library
- Barry, John M. The Great Influenza: The Epic Story of the Deadliest Plague in History. New York : Viking, 2004.
Call #: RC150.4 .B37 2004
- Davis, Mike. The Monster at Our Door : The Global Threat of Avian Flu . New York : New Press, 2005.
Call #: RA644 .I6 D387 2005
- Johnstone, R. William. Bioterror : Anthrax, Influenza, and the Future of Public Health Security . Westport: Praeger Security International, 2008.
Call #: HV6433.35 .J64 2008
- Kolata, Gina Bari. Flu : The Story of the Great Influenza Pandemic of 1918 and the Search for the Virus That Caused It. New York : Farrar, Straus and Giroux, 1999.
Call #: RC 150.4 .K64 1999
- Lerner, Brenda Wilmoth & K. Lee Lerner, eds. Infectious Diseases: in Context . Detroit: Thomson Gale, c2008.
E-book - Gale Virual Reference Library
- Neustadt, Richard E. The Epidemic That Never Was : Policy-Making and the Swine Flu Scare . New York : Vintage Books, 1983, c1982.
Call #: RA644.I6 N48 1983
- Neustaedter, Randall. Flu : Alternative Treatments and Prevention : Proven Strategies to Protect Yourself and Your Family . Berkeley: North Atlantic Books, c2005.
Call #: RC150 .N48 2005
- Pyle, Gerald F. The Diffusion of Influenza : Patterns and Paradigms . Totowa: Rowman & Littlefield, 1986.
Call #: RA 644 .I6 P95 1986
For books at other CUNY Libraries:
- American Society for Microbiology. Frequently Asked Questions on Swine Flu (H1N1) from the Laboratories.
Laboratory procedures FAQ.
- CDC: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
FAQs and general information for specific groups as well as updates, publications, audiovisual material and clinical guidance.
- Doherty, Peter C. and Stephen J. Turner. Q&A: What do we know about influenza and what can we do about it? Journal of Biology 8.5 (2009): 46.1-4.
Research information from the open access Journal of Biology with good list of references for further investigation.
- Influenza A (H1N1) (aka Swine Flu): Questions and Answers
Information provided by the LaGuardia Health Services Center.
- NYC Influenza Information
General information provided by the New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- USDA: United States Department of Agriculture - Food Safety FAQ
- U.S.Department of Health & Human Services - PandemicFlu.gov FAQs
One-stop access to U.S. government H1N1, avian and pandemic flu information. Searchable FAQ database and hotline information.
- WHO: World Health Organization - Influenza A (H1N1) FAQ
- American College Health Organization
H1N1 information resource for higher education; includes map of H1N1 presence on U.S. higher education campuses.
- HealthMap: Global Disease Alert Map
Freely available source aggregates infectious disease data from a variety of sources such as the WHO, ProMed and news organizations.
Organizations & Government Agencies
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Related podcasts in English and Spanish are available.
- National Library of Medicine
- New York City Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- New York State Department of Health
- U.S. Department of Health & Human Services - PandemicFlu.gov
One-stop access to U.S. government H1N1, avian and pandemic flu information.
- Public Entity Risk Institute (PERI)
Offers a list of official resources and links to help local governments gather information about managing a Swine Flu outbreak in their community.
- WHO: World Health Organization - Influenza A (H1N1) FAQ
Compiled by Ann Matsuuchi, July 8, 2009; updated Nov. 21, 2012.