Research Guide: Resources for Career and Practice in Physical Therapy
- American Academy of Physical Therapy (AAPT)
The Academy's website has career and practice development information, information about membership, information
about upcoming conferences, educational resources, and more.
- American Physical Therapy Association (APTA)
Site includes current research, physical therapy news, consumer information, career advice, etc.
- New York Physical Therapy Association (NYPTA)
The Association's website has career and practice development information, informatin about membership, a job board, information about the different NY chapters, and much more.
- Office of the Profession -- Physical Therapy Guide
"The State Education Department, under Regents direction, administers professional regulation through its Office of the Professions." This website will give you information about physical therapy as it relates to the state law.
- Physical Therapy Corner
This site is part of NISMAT (Nicholas Institute of Sports Medicine and Athletic Trauma). Information is arranged by body parts.
Job site dedicated to physical therapy.
- PT Central
Interactive website that serves as a central for physical therapy.
- The Federation of State Boards of Physical Therapy
Information about certification issues and examinations, professional standards, and the promotion of safe practice.
"TherapyJobs.com is a community site offering various types of career resources for therapist job seekers, including job search and resume posting. Registered users can apply for jobs directly and save jobs searched and applied for. We also provide an online resume builder."
- U.S. Department of Labor : Occupational Outlook Handbook
Description of the profession, work conditions, training, salary, job outlook, etc.
Books - Selection of Physical Therapy Resources
- Behrens, Barbara J., and Susan L. Michlovitz (eds.).
Physical Agents: Theory and Practice. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2006. Print.
- Bircher, Wendy D.
Lukan's Documentation for Physical Therapist Assistants. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2008. Print.
STACKS: RM705 .L84 2008
- Cameron, Michelle H. (ed.).
Physical Agents In Rehabilitation: From Research to Practice. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2009. Print.
REFERENCE: RM700 .P464 2009
- Cameron, Michelle H., and Linda G. Monroe (eds.).
Physical Rehabilitation: Evidence-Based Examination, Evaluation, and Intervention. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2007. Print.
REFERENCE: RM700 .P4725 2007
Comes with CD-ROM 1217BK
- Chaltow, Leon.
Positional Release Techniques. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone, 2002. Print.
STACKS: RM724 .C53 2002
Comes with CD-ROM 472BK
- Curtis, Kathleen A., and Peggy D. Newman.
The PTA Handbook : Keys to Success In School and Career for the Physical Therapist Assistant. Thorofare: SLACK, 2005. Print.
- Donatell, Robert A. (ed.).
Physical Therapy of the Shoulder. St. Louis: Churchill Livingstone, 2004. Print.
REFERENCE: RD557.5 .P48 2004
Comes with CD-ROM 1218BK
- Edmond, Susan L.
Joint Mobilization/Manipulation: Extremity and Spinal Techniques. St. Louis: Mosby/Elsevier, 2006. Print.
STACKS: RD736 .M25 E35 2006
Comes with DVD-ROM 36BK
- Giles, Scott M.
PTA Exam: The Complete Study Guide. Scarborough: Scorebuilders, 2008. Print.
REFERENCE: RM701.6 .G554 2008
Comes with CD-ROM 1317BK
- Goodman, Catherine C., and Kenda S. Fuller.
Pathology: Implications for the Physical Therapist. 3rd ed. St. Louis: Saunders, 2009. Print.
- Hayes, Karen W.
Manual for Physical Agents. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall Health, 2000. Print.
- Hislop, Helen J., and Jacqueline Montgomery.
Daniels and Worthingham's Muscle Testing: Techniques of Manual Examination. 8th ed. St.Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2007. Print.
- Huber, Frances E., et al. (eds.).
Therapeutic Exercise: Treatment Planning for Progression. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2006. Print.
STACKS: RM725 .T473 2006
Comes with CD-ROM
- Kendall, Florence Peterson, et al.
Muscles: Testing and Function with Posture and Pain. Baltimore: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2005. Print.
REFERENCE: RM701 .M87 2005
Comes with CD-ROM 959BK
- Kettenbach, Ginge.
Writing SOAP Notes: With Patient/Client Management Formats. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2004. Print.
STACKS: RM701.6 .K48 2004
- Kisner, Carolyn, and Lynn A. Colby.
Therapeutic Exercise: Foundations and Techniques. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2007. Print.
REFERENCE: RM725 .K53 2007
STACKS: RM725 .K53 2007
- Lippert, Lynn S.
Clinical Kinesiology and Anatomy. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2006. Print.
- Lippert, Lynn S., and Mary Alice Duesterhaus Minor.
Laboratory Manual for Clinical Kinesiology and Anatomy. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2007. Print.
- Martin, Suzanne, and Mary Kessler.
Neurologic Interventions for Physical Therapy. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2007. Print.
- Maxey, Lisa, and Jim Magnusson (eds.).
Rehabilitation for the Postsurgical Orthopedic Patient. St. Louis: Mosby Elsevier, 2007. Print.
REFERENCE: RD736 .P47 R44 2007
Comes with CD-ROM 1266BK
- Minor, Mary Alice D., and Scott D. Minor.
Patient Care Skills. 5th ed. Upper Saddle River: Pearson Prentice Hall, 2006. Print.
Comes with CD-ROM 1016BK
- Norkin, Cynthia C., and D. Joyce White.
Measurement of Joint Motion: A Guide to Goniometry. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2009. Print.
- O'Sullivan, Susan B., and Thomas J. Schmitz (eds.).
Physical Rehabilitation. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2007. Print.
REFERENCE: RM700 .O88 2007
STACKS: RM700 .O88 2007
- O'Sullivan, Susan B., and Thomas J. Schmitz.
Physical Rehabilitation Laboratory Manual: Focus on Functional Training. Philadelphia: Davis, 1999. Print.
- Pagliarulo, Michael A. (ed.).
Introduction to Physical Therapy. 3rd ed. St.Louis: Mosby/Elsevier, 2007. Print.
STACKS: RM700 .P34 2007
- Pierson, Frank M., and Sheryl L. Fairchild.
Principles & Techniques of Patient Care. 4th ed. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2008. Print.
- Reese, Nancy B.
Muscle and Sensory Testing. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2005. Print.
- Rothstein, Jules M., et al.
The Rehabilitation Specialist's Handbook. 3rd ed. Philadelphia: Davis, 2005. Print.
REFERENCE: RM735.3 .R68 2005
- Shankman, Gary A.
Fundamental Orthopedic Management for the Physical Therapist Assistant. 2nd ed. St. Louis: Mosby, 2004. Print.
STACKS: RD731 .S5513 2004
- Swain, James, and Kenneth W. Bush.
Diagnostic Imaging for Physical Therapists. St. Louis: Saunders/Elsevier, 2009. Print.
REFERENCE: RC925.7 .S93 2009
Comes with DVD-ROM 45BK
- Taber's Cyclopedic Medical Dictionary. Philadelphia: Davis, 2009. Print.
- Tenpenny, Kevin.
Physical Therapist Assistant Exam Review. Clifton Park: Thomson Delmar Learning, 2004. Print.
REFERENCE: RM706 .T467 2004
Comes with CD-ROM 863BK
Books - Careers in Physical Therapy
- Curtis, Kathleen A.
Physical Therapy Professional Foundations: Keys to Success in School and Career. Thorofore: Slack, 2002. Print.
STACKS: RM705 .C87 2002
- Esterson, Samuel H.
Starting & Managing Your Own Physical Therapy Practice: A Practical Guide to the Rookie Entrepreneur. Sudbury: Jones and Bartlett, 2005. Print.
STACKS: RM705 .E815 2005
- Krumhansl, Bernice.
Opportunities in Physical Therapy Careers. Lincolnwood: VGM Career Horizons, 2000. Print.
STACKS: RM705 .K78 2000
- Swanson, Barbara M.
Careers in Health Care. 5th ed. New York: McGraw-Hill, 2005. Print.
- Physical Therapy. American Physical Therapy Association.
- Archives of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text The Cumulative Index for Nursing and Allied health journals is a classic and comprehensive database offering full text access to many journals. Other features include : evidence based care sheets, quick lesson and test preparation articles. It indexes selected books and 750 journals published from 1937- present.
- Health Source: Nursing/Academic This database provides nearly 550 scholarly full text journals focusing on many medical disciplines. It also features the American Hospital Formulary Service Consumer Medication Information guide, which is published by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists.
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source Provides users with reliable healthcare information covering nursing, allied health, alternative and complementary medicine, and more. Includes 12,000 full text dissertations representing the most rigorous scholarship in nursing and related fields.
Compiled by Francine Egger-Sider, 9/09